Friday, August 07, 2009

OMEGA GENEVE DYNAMIC - 1968

This week is such a happy week.
I got so much gratification from material things (possessions)
First I got my top of the line earphones, and now, after waiting for 18 long months, YES 18 LONG MONTHS, my Omega watch is finally fully refurbished.
It looks FANTASTIC. Even my dad was amazed by the quality of workmanship that has gone into restoring this watch to its former glory. I really do take my hat off the guys at Omega, I wonder how they managed (or even bothered to attempt for that matter) to restore a 41 year old watch.

I took a picture of the components which they replaced. Get a load that strap ! My dad really used this watch to the max. I understand from the Omega representative that it was Omega's practice to use original parts for all it replacements. They have a warehouse full of spare parts even for their very early watches. I guess that is the difference between buying a watch of an established brand and say... Kenneth Cole.

The lady told my dad that the reason why the watch took so long was because of the DAY/DATE dial. They (Omega) were trying so hard to refurbish the original dial. They failed their quality control department twice and the watch was sent back to the start of the line twice. After several attempts, they decided it was easier to search for a brand new original dial than to attempt to refurbish the old dial any longer.

I am glad about the way things worked out. Initially, 19 months ago, I wanted to purchase a brand new Omega Seamaster. After much thought, I decided I was better off having money in the bank that an expensive watch on my wrist. My dad felt it was a wise decision too. It was then that he remembered he had 2 old Omegas which he kept. I almost fainted when I saw the 2. Old, worn out, a little rusty, a little dull, those are the many thoughts that went through my head when I first saw them. My dad suggested I send the watch to Omega for refurbishment, he told me it'll cost only a few hundred dollars. It was within my budget so I decided to go for it. I also like the idea of wearing an antique watch.

You would not believe my dismay when the Omega rep kept informing us (me and my dad) of the delay time and time again. In fact, the both of us were quite amazed by the amount of patience we had showcased. But in the end, I share my father's thoughts when he said to the rep, "After looking at it, I feel it is worth the wait, thank you."

The entire cost of the refurbishment + the cost of 2 new straps (one steel and one leather) is SGD$1500. But because of the huge delay (and I believe also because of the patience we showcased), Omega simply charged us SGD$60. That is the administrative fee. That is way too cool. In fact my dad was quite curious so he went to assess the value of this watch at a watch shop. The person leaped forward and immediately placed a quote of SGD$6,000 to buy the watch from my dad. He even said he has the cash ready in hand. My dad just smiled and calmly walked out of the shop.

I am going to take very special care of this watch. Not just because of it's monetary worth, but because this is one thing that I can pass on to a later generation. If I am fortunate enough to have a son, I will pass it to him and tell him this story. A watch for generations to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home