Saturday, September 23, 2006

Much Ado About Nothing to do on a Satrurday

This morning I reminisced about my fondness for one of William Shakespeare's play - Much Ado About Nothing. This is a romantic comedy and I guess that could be the reason why it appealed to me but I do believe it is also because this play was one of his works that I actually understood at that time. Anyhoo... I will write down my favorate portion of the whole play, found in Act 5 Scene 9.
-------
BENEDICK Soft and fair, friar. Which is Beatrice?
BEATRICE [Unmasking] I answer to that name. What is your will?
BENEDICK Do not you love me?
BEATRICE Why, no; no more than reason.
BENEDICK Why, then your uncle and the prince and Claudio Have been deceived; they swore you did.
BEATRICE Do not you love me?
BENEDICK Troth, no; no more than reason.
BEATRICE Why, then my cousin Margaret and Ursula Are much deceived; for they did swear you did.
BENEDICK They swore that you were almost sick for me.
BEATRICE They swore that you were well-nigh dead for me.
BENEDICK 'Tis no such matter. Then you do not love me?
BEATRICE No, truly, but in friendly recompense.
LEONATO Come, cousin, I am sure you love the gentleman.
CLAUDIO And I'll be sworn upon't that he loves her; For here's a paper written in his hand, A halting sonnet of his own pure brain, Fashion'd to Beatrice.
HERO And here's another Writ in my cousin's hand, stolen from her pocket, Containing her affection unto Benedick.
BENEDICK A miracle! Here's our own hands against our hearts. Come, I will have thee; but, by this light, I take thee for pity.
BEATRICE I would not deny you; but, by this good day, I yield upon great persuasion; and partly to save your life, for I was told you were in a consumption.
BENEDICK Peace! I will stop your mouth. [Kissing her]
-------
Emma Thompson plays Beatrice in the 1993 version of this play. Her acting was exemplary.
Here is another link to Shakespeare's works.
A
Name: Fredizzle Height: 1.79meters Weight: 112Kg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home