Thursday, December 14, 2006

TCC Column #4 - Coffee Master Cafe

TCC was a little curious about this small cafe located at the heart of the Katong District. He wanted to check it out so I decided to tag along. I was rather pleased with the decor of the cafe, it is rather pleasing to the eye. I'm an avid coffee drinker so my expectations for a good cup of coffee is a notch above social drinkers. I started by ordering a cup of their recommended Banana Nut Latte. It was pretty good although the milk foam was not frothy enough. TCC warmed up to the feel of the cafe and decided to take the plunge and order a plate of Spaghetti and Cesar Salad.
-------
So here's the verdict. The coffee is pretty alright, there are many unique flavors to choose from but they have to hone their coffee making skills - good coffee beans can only do so much. The food they serve is pretty alright too, nothing fancy, but portions are substantial. Their prices are affordable. TCC kept saying their food was "alright" but this is not to shed a negative light on them, what one must understand is this - this is a Cafe, not a restaurant. So one must lower one's expectations when one patronizes a place such as this. Once again, TCC is not saying their food is lousy. What TCC will say is this - This cafe provided a nice environment to have an affordable meal in. The food and beverage is as good as one might expect for a cafe of this size.
-------
This small corner cafe was established many years ago. I remember driving past countless times before with my dad, but never entered the establishment because it was out fo the way. From the start, we kept saying that it'll probably close down, judging just from the facade of the place, it's size and location. However, the place began to attract a stream of faithful customers and soon, the place was expanded to incorporate an alfresco area. I must say, the Cafe really reminds me of Australia, because the drinks menu had items like "Flat Whites" and "Long Blacks" and I hardly see those in Singapore. I wonder if the owner got his inspiration from there? So in my final note I will say this - give this Cafe a try, you too might be pleasantly surprised by what they have to offer. As for me and TCC ... ... we are definitely going back, there is just something about that place that is appealing to us.


Coffee Master Cafe
112 East Coast Road
#01-25 Katong Mall
Singapore 428802
Tel: 6346 5751
{ Reservations Not Required }

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home