Tuesday, December 25, 2007

A Big Bowl of Crazy On Christmas Day

My dad has many weird convictions.
So far this tops it all.
---
Scene: I was staring at my bamboo tree and found it to be rather messy. So on a whim, I decided to trim it a little. Dad walks in and...
---
Conversation went like this:
DAD: What are you doing FD?
FD: Trimming the bamboo tree.
DAD: Stop it (he said firmly)
FD: Why?
DAD: Do not cut trees at night.
FD: Why?
DAD: I said don't cut so don't cut.
FD: Right.. I will stop cutting but why can't trees be cut at night?
DAD: It's unnatural.
FD: It's unnatural to cut trees at night? (I was rolling my eyes + repeating what he said in a sarcastic tone)
DAD: Have you seen anyone cutting trees at night?
FD: In fact I have.
DAD: No you have not. (here he was insisting that I was lying to back up his claim that no one cuts trees at night because it was unnatural)
FD: I'll stop. But listen to what you are saying. Repeat what you have said to any rational man on the street and he will think you are insane.
DAD: Just don't cut trees at night... and I going to bed.
---
I just stopped and left it as that. I seldom witness my dad behaving in such an odd manner, to the extent of conjuring up crazy reasons to justify his very weird beliefs. I think it is one of his weird voodoo mystical beliefs. I guess people of his generation have a lot of taboos and voodoo wishy washys that were drilled into their heads by the generation before theirs.
---
And, he believes it so much he actually played the "I AM YOUR DAD SO JUST DO WHAT I SAY" Card.
---
Quite baffling indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home