Saturday, December 16, 2006

The Enabler

Today I had a meaningful conversation with my parents. The conversation revolved around my father's distaste for my sister's attitude - specifically her tardiness and general attitude of taking everything for granted.
-------
My dad was complaining about a few things:
  1. Whenever my sister wants to use the car, she gives him the feeling that everything must be in order. Petrol must be topped up, Cash Card* must have sufficient funds, etc.
  2. My sister's tardiness. She is seldom on time, and if she is, it would be the result of a mad rush out of the house. She always fails to give some "cushioning" when she plans her time, never factoring in the unforeseen/uncontrollable circumstances like traffic, weather, bus waiting times, etc...
  3. She takes for granted that Saturday is the day which she gets exclusive use of the car for the better half of the day.
-------
I told my dad straight to his face " This will be the first and only time I'll say this to you: You are the enabler, so don't complain. "
-------
Seriously. He complains almost every other week regarding this matter but continues to allow my sister to push him about, so what's the point. Every week he tops up the petrol and cash card for her, every week he allows her to borrow the car whenever she wants it, so really, he has no right to complain. It is like a mother who frets about her son's obesity but continues to feed him fast food just because he kicks up a fuss.
-------
At the end of that conversation, he along with my mom was laughing away, they found the word "enabler" to be rather amusing. I just let it go. He has a choice to do whatever he wants, after all it is his car, and his daughter for that matter. I guess he got my point, but understanding my dad, I believe that he would rather just let it be.
-------
How do I know? Well, before we headed home to pass the car to my sis, he stopped by the petrol station to top up the petrol and cash card. It's pretty clear from where I'm standing.
A
* Cash Card = This is a card with an embedded chip which electronically stores a monetary value in the card. This card is used to pay for road tolls and it is becoming an increasingly popular method of paying for parking, amongst other things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home