Wednesday, March 14, 2007

My Friend the Atheist

I hear the most remarkable things from the mouths of my non-Christian friends. They can be very bold and vocal about their current beliefs. They allowed me to hear their views because through time, I have gained their trust and they come to know me as a person who does not crucify them with Bible verses whenever they speak of something that is contrary to my own beliefs. I do not necessarily agree with everything they say - most of the time I don't - but I give them space to speak their mind so that I may better understand their convictions.
-------
" Faith is an Irrational Belief in Something that is Logically Impossible "
-------
After much thought. I would say that I agree with half that statement. The Bible made no secret of that fact. Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." From that Bible verse - which to me is a little vague - faith can be (in one form) described as a belief in something that is logically impossible.
-------
The dictionary defines "irrational" as being
  1. Not endowed with reason.
  2. Affected by loss of usual or normal mental clarity; incoherent, as from shock.
  3. Marked by a lack of accord with reason or sound judgment.
-------
So if they were to ask for my opinion regarding that statement, I would say that faith can be illogical but it is certainly not irrational.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home