Friday, January 05, 2007

The Things That My Parents Remember

This afternoon, my sister purposefully declared to the family "I am going to clean up my room!" She soon realized that it was a rookie mistake because saying that is like proclaiming an open invitation for heaps of criticism, unless the listener shows mercy. Too bad we - father, mother and myself - didn't show any.
-------
So my sister was taking on hit after hit, an endless barrage of observations, opinions and suggestions on the lack of state of cleanliness/tidiness of her room. After that, it was like open season for my parents, and they decided to pick on me.
-------
My dad said that my room was neat and tidy now but the one thing that he will never forget, was the time when he visited during my summer vacation and saw that I had tied a whole bunch of clean underwear (14 of them I think) with a rubber rope and hung it on the clothes rack, taking one out whenever it was needed.
-------
My mom then joined in, saying that she too was appalled when she went to my backyard (the place where I hung my clothes to dry) and saw/counted that I had 14 underwear hanging on the clothesline. She wanted to laugh and faint at the same time because she came to a conclusion that I only did my washing once a fornight.
-------
They did not seem to accept my reason for doing things this way. Yes, I admit I'm lazy but it is a system I have honed for more than 2 years. I use up my underwear in 2 weeks (I had 15 pieces in all), and wash them all at once, as soon as I'm just left with the one that I was wearing. It only takes an hour of the summer sun to dry them to a crisp so that was alright. And when all my underwear is dry, I just string them up for easy dispensation, and this cycle repeats itself. Is that so hard to accept?
-------
Anyway, my point is this: How is it that they can remember the details so vividly? They can hardly recall the finer details of our many trips down south but they remember the state of my laundry. Why did they even bother to remember something as insignificant as that? Or was it truly significant to them? Did my routine shock them beyond belief? All these questions... funny lah my parents, the things that they choose to remember.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home