Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Anyone Got a Mute button?

Ever since I came back from the Golden State, I observed a certain practice that had begun to take place in my household. This 'practice' is very close to giving me a peptic ulcer.
-------
So the practice is this. I will follow his dad down to work early in the morning, for most days of the week, because FD senior offered to give me a ride to the gym. During the journey, which last about 20mins, FD senior will begin a conversation with me about everything under the sun. The first few times, I was not sure what to classify as a taboo subject, but after a few trips I began to see a pattern of sorts. FD senior will go into a long rant about his displeasure regarding certain things that FD's sister did or did not do, about her insensitivity, about her lack of financial control, about her demanding this or that, the list goes on and on and on... you get the picture.
-------
Things got rather ... shall we say not pleasant, to the point where the atmosphere in the household was choking. That was when I decided to have a little chat with la soeur. After that nice chat, she too began to periodically use me as a sounding board. Going on and on about FD senior's attitude toward money and money matters, about his unthankfulness, about this and that and that....
-------
I'm now very stressed about the relationship between these 2 headstrong people. I will even go so far as to say that I choose my words very carefully now, because the moment I say certain key words, the floodgates will open and the long long rants will start, my ears will hurt and the possibility of getting a peptic ulcer will increase in probability.
FD's mom seems to be rather comfortable in her position all these while - neither condoning nor condemning. I suspect that this has been going on for a long time, and when I finally came back, both FD senior and FD's sister made a mad dash for me because I was the only one that had not heard their side of the story.
I'm really treading on thin ice here. I want my dad to have an outlet but really can't stand the constant negativity used to brand FD's sister. I want to be fair and hear my sister out but in my analytical mind, many of these problems began with her, so my tolerance for her attitude and reasonings is wearing thin.
-------
I'm desperately looking for a way out. I need to find a job soon to retain my sanity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home