Monday, January 15, 2007

Acquiring the Art of Gift Giving

I suck at gift giving. No, I'm not in a self-deprecating mood, this statement is a product of my observation and evaluation over the past 7 years. I really need to improve in the art of gift giving, starting with the category of choosing gifts. Seriously, thinking back, I really hope that some of the recipients of my gifts will just throw their gifts away, I mean seriously, screw the thoughtfulness of it all, if you do not like the gift, you ought to have the right to just throw it away, just get it out of your sight, for the love of God, throw the insipid trash out the window before you get infected with my putrid gift-giving disease! Do it! Do it Now, before it is too late, before you get blinded by the shining example of what you do not want.... Saaaaave yourself!
-------
Yes. I think this will be a pet project of mine. I have a few gifts to give this year so that'll be good practice. I'm so blessed last year, I've been given many wonderful gifts, in fact, thinking back, throughout my life I have received many many excellent gifts - gifts that I still possess to this day. So, much is expected to whom much is given right? Ok, I need to set a few rules as guidelines.
  1. All those dinner/shopping vouchers I can buy will make me a lazy giver, so no vouchers this year. I will set aside some time to think. If I love the person enough to purchase a birthday gift then I will jolly well put a little thought into it.
  2. I must remember that it is always best to give something the person wants AND needs, BUT getting what the person wants is more important than getting what the person needs because what the person needs will be bought by the person eventually. Practicality will have to play second fiddle to Vanity.
  3. Maybe I ought to design some feedback cards the recipient can mail back to me, just to let me know where I stand. But that again may not be such a good idea because that person may be too kind to be brutally honest. Actually, I am placing the recipient between a rock and a hard place. If they really do dislike the gift, and gave me feedback about it, it would be like admitting they were picky, high-class ingrates. So feedback cards is a bad idea. .. ok strike off.
-------
Is this considered a new year resolution? Whatever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home