Monday, November 10, 2008

Perth Trip 2008 - Reflections

This is the 2nd time I have gone back to Perth for a holiday as a tourist and not as a student. It is significant for me because this is the first time I am fully 100% responsible for the financial resources required for this holiday. I refused any handouts from my parents because I wanted to do this on my own. It is like a rite of passage of sorts.
-------
This trip is special for me. I have learned a whole lot about myself and the people I love so dearly. I set off for Perth with 2 objectives in mind. To experience total relaxation and to spend as much time as I can with Bambi and Yaliooh. I guess the latter objective was not fully made known to these 2 individuals, for almost every single one of my 18 days in Perth, I was asked the same resounding question "What did you do today?" I always replied with the same truthful answer, "TV, cooking, basically Nothing Much." That satisfied the first objective. But the complete truth of the matter was that in fact, I waited the whole day in anticipation to spend some time with these 2 individuals when they return from their daily activities.
--------
I know in a certain sense that I would be a distraction to Bambi and Yaliooh, but I did not want them to break from their usual routine/activites just because I am in town. I was happy just to be around them. They are my bestest friends you see.
--------
I loved all the quiet, still moments I have spent with them. Walks, a short rest under a tree (Elliot), long drives, coffee, breakfast, shopping, boat rides, dinners, lunches, celebrating birthdays, music, watching TV on an insanely small television, cooking....
-------
This trip, I learned the flip-side of what it takes to be an unselfish friend. With our level of love for each other, I do believe we have no qualms about giving nice gifts to each other as acts of affection. It is not far fetched to suggest that for us, it is truly better to give, to let the other individual know how much he/she is cherished with a gift. But we resist receiving such gifts perhaps because it may be too expensive, as Bambi put it "this is too much" So I have learned that to be an unselfish friend also involves gracefully accepting gifts, not because it is a gift per se, but more so because you are giving the other person - the giver - an opportunity to show you how much you are loved, and to have an emotional connection with the giver(s). We all need affirmation sometimes.
--------
My colleagues was very much impressed by the gift I got, they went on and on about the exquisite design, about the colour, about the cost... but they don't seem to understand that this is well and truly nice to have, but I would have equally treasured a paperclip had that been given as a gift. It is not the gift, it is the emotions and sentimentality that is attached to the gift that makes it so very special.
--------
Thank you Bambi & Yaliooh for sacrifcing your time + your attention + your annual leave + your finances. I am overwhelmed by your acts of love and affection. I love you both dearly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home